Welcome to Los Angeles!

You've made it to the Public Transit Page for the city of Los Angeles, California.

World map with Los Angeles highlit

Los Angeles is a huge city in the state of California, on the West Coast of the United States of America. Los Angeles, often referred as L.A., is the second-largest city in the U.S. after New York City with a population of over 3 million people.

The greater Los Angeles metropolitan is home to over 18 million people. Approximately 60% of Los Angeles' residents were born in the United States, the other 40% are foreign born (mainly from Latin America and Asia).

photo credit: Maxime Auger

photo credit: Maxime Auger

THE TRANSIT SYSTEM

Locals call their city L.A. and their transit system the Metro. The Metro rail system runs a total of 87.8 miles and has 80 stations. The extended Metro system also operates a fleet of 2,228 buses, with 15,967 bus stops in 1,433 square miles of the greater LA metropolitan area. There is also a new light rail system with four lines.

Go Metro Los Angeles Transit Map
photo credit: Neon Tommy

photo credit: Neon Tommy

photo credit: Daniel Lobo

photo credit: Daniel Lobo

THE TRANSIT CARD

Los Angeles Tap Card

A single ride on the LA Metro is $1.75. A Kindergarten through grade 12 student ride is just $1.

A day pass for the Metro system is around $7. The train can take you from Hollywood hills to Downtown LA all the way to the beach. Surfers on the new Expo line to the Santa Monica Pier are allowed to take their surf boards on the train too!

The re-loadable Transit card in Los Angeles is called a "tap" card.

photo credit: El Coleccionista de Instantes Fotografía & Video

photo credit: El Coleccionista de Instantes Fotografía & Video

FUN STUFF

The Getty Center displays more that 300 paintings and more than 700 sculptures and decorative art objects. The center is one of two locations of the J. Paul Getty Museum and draws 1.3 million visitors annually. The other location is the Getty Villa in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood of Los Angeles.

photo credit: YoTuT

photo credit: YoTuT

photo credit: Rictor Norton & David Allen

photo credit: Rictor Norton & David Allen

Hollywood, located in hills of the North/Northwest area of Los Angeles, is home to many film and music studios. People who work in music and film are referred as "industry" professionals.

If one of your parents worked in film editing, for example, you'd say, "My dad works in the Industry".

There are many tourist attractions in the Hollywood area, studios, theaters and the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame.

photo credit: Marika Bortolami

photo credit: Marika Bortolami

photo credit: Ken Lund

photo credit: Ken Lund

California is known for the fast-food chain, In-N-Out Burger. People are VERY loyal to In-N-Out. There are over 240 locations in California alone.

Food trucks are massively popular in Los Angeles, there are currently over 200 active trucks in LA. The website Roaming Hunger is a great way to track down where and when your favorite food trucks will be parked.

photo credit: steve lyon

photo credit: steve lyon

photo credit: Glenn Beltz

photo credit: Glenn Beltz

photo credit: John Liu

photo credit: John Liu

photo credit: Oran Viriyincy

photo credit: Oran Viriyincy

Visiting LA with Kids?

Here are some family-friendly attractions in the Los Angeles area. Let us know what you think! If you have more to add too, let us know, we'll add them on the list.

LACMA lacma.org

Venice Beach Boardwalk www.laparks.org/venice

Getty getty.edu

Los Angeles Zoo lazoo.org

The Last Bookstore lastbookstorela.com

Travel Town traveltown.org

Coldwater Canyon Park laparks.org

Topanga State Park parks.ca.gov

California Science Center californiasciencecenter.org

Cabrillo Marine Aquarium cabrillomarineaquarium.org

Serenity Park Parrot Sanctuary parrotcare.org

Griffith Observatory griffithobservatory.org

Los Angeles Public Library’s Central branch lapl.org

Annenberg Beach beachhouse.smgov.net

 

Where to now? 
Check out our store or View all of the Public Transit Resources here on SO Awesome's site.

Thank you for visiting the Los Angeles page for the Children's Public Transit Wallet Cards deck! Happy travels!